1. What is a Christian?
You may be surprised to know that most people who are asked that question give
answers that have to do with how a person acts. They usually mention things you must or
must not do if you are a Christian. If a person defines a Christian as someone who is nice
or good, there is a problem, because there are many nice people who are not Christians.
There are even some disagreeable people who claim to be Christians.
2. Are we saved because we do good things?
3. Is the following statement true or false? A person will never go to hell, simply for being bad!
4. How are we saved?
Read John 17:3several times (maybe even out loud a time or two). Compare your translation with the Amplified Bible.
5. Who spoke the words found in this verse?
6. Based on this verse, how do you get eternal life?
7. If there is someone you wish to get to know, how do you do it? What are some things that you would do together to get better acquainted?
8. How would you go about getting to know Jesus and God?
According to Jesus, eternal life is based on knowing Him and His Father. That's it! If I don't make it to heaven one day it will be because I don't know Jesus. If I do make it to heaven it will be because I know Jesus as my Friend. Therefore, spending time getting to know Him as a Friend is he most important thing I can do as a Christian!
Did you notice that in Matthew 7, the Lord calls some people who did good things, "workers of iniquity"? Apparently, the Lord has a different definition for good and evil than most of us do--His definition centers not on what we do, but on Who we know!
Read Matthew 25:1-12 a couple of times. Imagine the joy and excitement of a wedding celebration and the disappointment of those who did not get in.
10. Who is the Groom? What does the wedding celebration represent?
11. What reason does the Groom give for denying some people entrance?
Have you ever heard someone say "In order to get into that club or that organization you have to know the right people?" Or, "You have to have friends in high places if you want to get in there?" That's what Heaven is all about--knowing the right Person. Knowing the right people--"God the Father and Jesus Christ whom He has sent" (John 17:3)
12. Would you change the description of a Christian you wrote in question one? If so, how would you change it and why?
WE PROMISE: We will NOT visit, phone, mail, or otherwise harass you. YOU will initiate
Lesson 1 - Questions
Copyright © 1995, Lee Venden and Thure Martinsen